Datos personales

Mi foto
I am a secondary teacher of English in Southern Spain. I studied MFL in Jaén and I got a DPSI certificate in Law in England. I started my teaching career in Newcastle back in 2000, where I lived for 3 years. Once I returned home, I taught in a public school and got ready to sit the "oposiciones" exam, which I passed!!! Currently, I am teaching in Spain, which has become my definite residence in since 2004.

jueves, 15 de mayo de 2014

"El ciento y la madre" = The hundred and the mother*

The world and its wife. Everyone and their mother. Near synonyms and synonym expression, Cool, huh? Yet, we Spaniards can go much further than that and include the grandmother in the picture by using this quite common expression too: "Éramos pocos y parió la abuela" by emphasising the excessive amount of people involved in an activity.
"Lo sabe el ciento y la madre".
"No se podía andar por la tienda. Estaba comprando el ciento y la madre allí".
"Antes de que te des cuenta ya lo sabrá todo el ciento y la madre".

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario