Datos personales

Mi foto
I am a secondary teacher of English in Southern Spain. I studied MFL in Jaén and I got a DPSI certificate in Law in England. I started my teaching career in Newcastle back in 2000, where I lived for 3 years. Once I returned home, I taught in a public school and got ready to sit the "oposiciones" exam, which I passed!!! Currently, I am teaching in Spain, which has become my definite residence in since 2004.

jueves, 15 de mayo de 2014

"Chupar del bote" = To suck from the bottle*

To line one's own pocket, to feather one's own nest. This is a particularly funny expression given that whereas in Spanish, we immediatly think of a plastic container, the word "bottle" in English has a double meaning: plastic or glass container or baby bottle (to feed the baby with a teat / niple). So! In this particular ocassion, the English translation turns out to be more graphic and effective than the actual Spanish one. Ha! 
  1. "Algunas personas sólo saben chupar del bote como medio de vida".
  2. "Ya está bien de tanto chupar del bote. Toca ganarse las cosas con esfuerzo"
  3. "Si quieres chupar del bote, se dice que la política es el campo perfecto para ello".

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario